Translate

Wednesday 8 March 2017

Are Field Trips Important?

February was a month of activity for the Grade 5 classes here at Terry Fox.  On two separate occasions, we had the opportunity to leave the school to learn in the outdoors-- first at Springwater Park and then at Wasaga Nordic.  In the past, you may have heard from educators how field trips play a vital role in learning and allow students to explore and develop in a hands-on, natural environment. However, we thought that for this blog, we would let the students tell you why these types of experiences are valuable.


I love Springwater Park because it was nice to be outside and bond with new people. It was cool to learn some new things that are outside. I made smoke. I made a shelter with so many nice people that did not argue about what goes there and there. It was such a fun experience and now I want to be outside more often and see new things.   L.L.

The workers at SWP were really nice. I'm so happy that I went there and I hope everyone felt like this. The most fun part about our trip was we all did it together and when in our teams we made shelter together as a team.  S.A.


I think it is better that we go outside to Wasaga Nordic and Springwater so we get to have more time outside so we could actually get to see the real sun instead of lights.  I.R.

I think that field trips are important because you get to learn new things like when we went to Springwater Park I learned how to live a night or two in the woods. So basically survival and it was important to me because it taught me a whole new thing for my brain and it was really fun. A.M.

I loved cross country skiing at Wasaga Nordic because learning a new outdoor sport is always great, and I love to be outside having fun with my friends. Spending the whole day outside was amazing and waaaay better than being in our classroom because technology is becoming more advanced and less and less people are going to be doing things like cross country skiing so it's great to have time being active. A.B.

I loved the skiing trip because I got to try something I never thought I'd do.....I also loved how some of us never gave up. We all were never alone. First we had to get the shoes and then, skis. After we put the skis on (it was hard) and last we practice. Then we started to ski. I fell down as soon as we got on the track but I got back up. By the end I wasn't falling at all. M.O.

I loved the experience of cross country skiing because I needed grit and resilience to get up the hill and putting the skis on and off. I think our trips always bring out the best of us no matter what. I had a lot of fun skiing with my friends and I think we should do it again because it teaches us grit, cooperation, leadership and more. They prepare us for when we are older. That is why I think field trips are very important for us. A.K.

Field trips are important for your fitness and for your brain. They challenge you to use a different part of your brain. Overall, field trips are something every kid should have a chance to do. W.B.

We couldn't have said it better ourselves!
LS and NK




No comments:

Post a Comment